Granulysin, a T Cell Product,Kills Bacteria by Altering Membrane Permeability
Granulysin, a protein located in the acidic granules of human NK cells and cytotoxic T cells, has antimicrobial activity against a broad spectrum of microbial pathogens. Granulysin increased the permeability of bacterial membranes, as judged by its ability to allow access of cytosolic ß-galactosidase to its impermeant substrate. It functions to create holes in the target cell membrane and destroy it. Granulysin is able to induce apoptosis in target cells and also has antimicrobial action.
Moreover,it induces lesions on the surface of bacteria and separation of the cell wall and membranes from the cytoplasm.
In our Wound Dressing project, we used Granulysin to sterilize the environment against all type of bacteria. In addition, in case of distortion of our biomaterial grade dressing, our Ecoli may infact with wounds. Because of that reason, in order to prevent wounds from pathogenicity of E.coli, granulysin protein which will be integrated into gelatin sponge of our dressing to kill our bacteria.
Properties of Granulysin
1. A substance released by cytotoxic T cells (CD8) when attached to infected body cells.
2. Creating holes in the target cell membrane and destroy it.
3. Inducing apoptosis in target cells and have antimicrobial action.
4. Cytolytic and proinflammatory molecule first identified by subtractive hybridization during a search for genes expressed by human cytotoxic T lymphocytes 3-5 days after their activation.
5. Expressed in cytolytic granules with perforin, a pore forming protein, and granzymes involved in cytolysis.
6. Broadly antimicrobial, killing microbes (whole gram-positive and gram-negatif bacteria) that cause, for example, tuberculosis and malaria, and can destroy some tumors.
7. A series of peptides of Granulysin used as potential antibiotics.
8. A member of the saposin-like protein (SAPLIP) family.
- 10COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 12COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 21COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 23COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 25Illegal AgeI site found at 289
- 1000COMPATIBLE WITH RFC